- Swarthmore College (B.A., 1986, with high honors)
- New York University School of Law (J.D., 1990, cum laude, Order of the Coif)
- District of Columbia
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, and the Second and Fifth Circuits
- United States District Court for the District of Columbia
- Represented by Firm partners Robert Johnston and Donald McMinn, Porter Hayden signs $15M asbestos coverage deal with two AIG Insurers.
- Thirteen Firm Attorneys Named to the 2014 Washington, DC Edition of Super Lawyers.
- Porter Hayden Beats Insurers' Exhaustion Defense in Asbestos Coverage Suit
- Ten Hollingsworth LLP Partners Named Top Rated Lawyers™ by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell™
- Law360: Novartis Prevails In Cancer Patient's Zometa Injury Suit
- view all
- National Union v. Norfolk Southern: Defining the Scope of Insurance Available to Additional Insureds
- "Pennsylvania Superior Court Confirms CGL Coverage," John M. McNulty and Donald R. McMinn, LJN's The Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin (March 2014)
- U.S. District Court Finds Coverage Survives Procedural Changes Of Bankruptcy
- "Insurance Recovery for Environmental Liabilities" in Environmental Litigation: Law and Strategy
- Using Staff Counsel to Defend Insureds
- view all
- Massey v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. A-12-1054-LY (W.D. Tex. Sept. 19, 2014)
- Wilson v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., __ F. App’x __, No. 13-10309, 2014 WL 3378316 (5th Cir. July 11, 2014)
- Norfolk Southern Railway Corp. v. Nat'l Union Fire Insurance Co. of Pittsburgh, PA, et al., No. 2:12-cv-05183 (S.D. W. Va., Feb. 26, 2014)
- Nat'l Union Fire Ins. Co. of Pittsburgh, Pa. v. Porter Hayden Co., No. 1:03-cv-03408 (D. Md. Jan. 2, 2014)
- Spiese v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. 3:06-cv-00858 (M.D. Tenn. June 14, 2013
- McKay v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., 934 F. Supp. 2d 898 (W.D. Tex. 2013)
- Luttrell v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. 2:07-cv-03015-TOR (E.D. Wash. Oct. 2, 2012)
- Conklin v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. 9:11-cv-00178-RC (E.D. Tex. Sept. 19, 2012)
- Nat'l Union Fire Insurance Company of Pittsburgh, PA v. Porter Hayden Co., No. AMD 03-3408 (D. Md. July 7, 2009)(Order and Memorandum Opinion).
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd's v. Milberg, 08-civ-7522 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 30, 2009).
- Montrose Chem. Corp. v. Canadian Universal Ins. Co., No. C594 148 (Cal. Super. Ct.).
- International Ins. Co. v. Superior Court, 62 Cal. App. 4th 784, 72 Cal. Rptr.2d 849 (Cal. Ct. App. 1998).
- Universal Ins. Co. v. Pinnacle Nissan, Inc., No. CV 2001-016905 (Az. Cir. Ct.).
Donald R. McMinn litigates a variety of complex civil matters, with a current focus on pharmaceutical products liability and insurance coverage litigation.
Mr. McMinn has considerable experience defending Firm clients involved in MDL proceedings, from the time of the decision to petition for MDL status through the multi-month trial and settlement of "bellwether" plaintiffs. He leads both Firm attorney teams and local counsel teams in implementing a unified and consistent strategy across multiple jurisdictions in which simultaneous discovery is proceeding. He conducts depositions, develops expert testimony concerning causation and damages issues, and engages in motion practice and oral argument to eliminate opponents' causation experts on Daubert grounds.
Mr. McMinn works extensively on behalf of policyholders seeking to maximize coverage. In doing so, he has developed strong relationships with specialized accounting consultants and has significant experience in the use of sophisticated computerized allocation models. He represents clients involved in litigation of issues arising out of overlapping coverage, including the application of other-insurance clauses and the impact vel non on the insured of the contribution and subrogation claims of one of its insurers against another. He advises clients with respect to coverage issues arising out of product liability claims, workplace exposure to noise and hazardous substances, and environmental matters.
Mr. McMinn regularly speaks to groups of policyholders and lawyers concerning insurance topics, including managing the insured-insurer relationship and securing defense costs in the event of a conflict between an insured and its insurers. He has served on the editorial board of the Insurance Coverage Law Bulletin since 2009 and he is an Adjunct Professor of Law, teaching insurance law at The George Washington University Law School.
During law school, Mr. McMinn served as a Note & Comment Editor for the New York University Law Review. After law school, he clerked for Chief Judge Manuel L. Real of the United States District Court for the Central District of California.
Mr. McMinn is listed in the 2014 Washington, DC edition of Super Lawyers, and is recognized as a Top Rated Lawyer™ by American Lawyer Media & Martindale-Hubbell™.