- Cornell University (B.A., 1972)
- Yale Law School (J.D., 1975)
- District of Columbia and Maryland
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Courts of Appeals for the Second, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, Tenth, Eleventh, District of Columbia, and Federal Circuits
- United States District Courts for the District of Columbia, and the District of Maryland
- United States Court of Federal Claims
- United States Court of International Trade
- Best Lawyers in America selects Hollingsworth LLP partners for 2021
- Donald W. Fowler Named an "Environmental Lawyer of the Year" by Corporate Livewire
- Donald W. Fowler and Robert E. Johnston selected Best in Pharmaceutical Products Liability Litigation-Washington, DC.
- Volvo tells Supreme Court that EPA's $62M engine fine broke the rules.
- Firm Partners Named to the 2015 Washington, DC Edition of Super Lawyers
- view all
- Court dismissed $4B claim brought by the State of New Mexico against Firm client General Electric.
New Mexico v. Gen. Electric Co., 467 F.3d 1223 (10th Cir. 2006)
- Louisiana court grants summary judgment for SABIC Petrochemicals â€œfrom the benchâ€ following oral argument.
Bateast v. The Williams Co., Inc., No. 110,312 (La. 23rd Jud. Dist. Ct.) and Mitchell v. Williams Energy Partners, LP, No. 110,285 (La. 23rd Jud. Dist. Ct.) (April 21, 2017)
- In ArediaÂ®/ZometaÂ® litigation, Florida federal court limits plainitff's duty-to-warn case.
Arnold v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., 8:06-cv-1709-T-23MAP (M.D. Fla. July 1, 2014)
- Another summary judgment for Novartis shortly before trial.
Parkinson v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., 3:12-cv-02089-BR (D. Or. March 20, 2014)
- Novartis wins motion to apply New Jersey punitive damages law in Florida federal ZometaÂ® case.
Chiles v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. 3:06-cv-95-J-25 JBT (M.D. Fla. Feb. 7, 2013)
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Arkansas dismisses ArediaÂ® case on the eve of trial, granting judgment in favor of Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation.
McDaniel v. Novartis Pharm. Corp., No. 2:08-cv-02088-PKH (W.D. Ark. Jan. 6, 2012)
- view all
Donald W. Fowler specializes in federal and state trials and appeals in the areas of environmental law, toxic torts and pharmaceutical products liability. His practice also emphasizes litigation against the federal government, and he is experienced in environmental insurance coverage litigation. In 2017, Mr. Fowler was selected as Environmental Lawyer of the Year by Corporate Livewire M&A Awards. In 2015, he was selected by Corporate America's Legal Elite Awards for "Best in Product Liability Litigation-Washington, DC."
Mr. Fowler represents major manufacturing concerns and site owners in trials and appeals of class actions and mass torts involving personal injury, property damage, and/or medical monitoring damage claims associated with alleged exposures to ionizing radiation and various chemical compounds, including solvents and benzene derivatives. He also represents a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in the national defense of personal injury claims associated with oncological drugs, migraine treatments, and anti-cholesterols. He has successfully defended such cases whether filed individually, as part of a mass tort, or as a class action.
Mr. Fowler’s environmental practice includes representation of major corporations in defense of both actual and anticipated litigation brought by federal and state natural resource trustees seeking recovery for damages to natural resources under federal and state law. He also represents companies in litigation and before the Environmental Protection Agency in matters arising under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act and Superfund, including private cost recovery actions. He has designed and implemented compliance programs, conducted environmental audits and due diligence reviews, and negotiated environmental aspects of real estate and other transactions on behalf of many of our corporate clients. He frequently authors amicus curiae briefs on behalf of our toxics and pharmaceutical clients, and he lectures at private and public seminars on developments in these fields.
Mr. Fowler is named in the 2021 edition of Best Lawyers for Environmental Law and Litigation-Environmental, and in America's Top 100 High Stakes Litigators for Washington DC. He is listed in the 2020 Washington, DC edition of Super Lawyers for Environmental Litigation, in Who's Who Legal: Environment, and is recognized by The Expert Network as a "Distinguished Lawyer." In 2015, he received the Burton Distinguished Legal Writing Award for his article "Federal Clean Air Act Preemption of Public Nuisance Claims: The Case for Supreme Court Resolution."
Following law school, Mr. Fowler joined the Land and Natural Resources Division of the Department of Justice, where he spent three years as a trial attorney conducting environmental litigation before the federal appellate and trial courts. Before joining the Firm, he also served as Deputy Assistant Administrator of the Commerce Department’s National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Associations & Affiliations
- Firm partner Donald W. Fowler publishes article on Clean Air Act preemption of state nuisance claims.
- Daubert in Natural Resource Damages Litigation
- Federal Court Rejects State AG/Trial Lawyer Effort To Expand â€œPublic Nuisanceâ€ Theory